Saturday, July 31, 2010

Luther's book of straw (some observations and questions)

While studying the Book of James and comparing it to other portions of Scripture written about the same time period, I came across some interesting observations and questions.  For some I have an idea as to what the answers are, but others, I'm still trying to figure out.  See what you think.

After Paul was converted around 33 AD, he spent three years receiving revelation from God. In fact, in Galatians Paul seems to go out of his way to say he did not receive anything from the other apostles; what he was given was completely new.

For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. For you have heard of my former manner of life in Judaism, how I used to persecute the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it; and I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries among my countrymen, being more extremely zealous for my ancestral traditions. But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went away to Arabia, and returned once more to Damascus. Then three years later I went up to Jerusalem to become acquainted with Cephas, and stayed with him fifteen days. But I did not see any other of the apostles except James, the Lord's brother. (Now in what I am writing to you, I assure you before God that I am not lying.) Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia. I was still unknown by sight to the churches of Judea which were in Christ; but only, they kept hearing, "He who once persecuted us is now preaching the faith which he once tried to destroy." And they were glorifying God because of me (Gal 1:12-24).

Finally around 36 AD Paul visits Jerusalem and stays 15 days with Peter, and sees James. Paul doesn't return again to Jerusalem until some 14 years later, at which time he submits to them what he's been preaching to the Gentiles.

Then after an interval of fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along also. It was because of a revelation that I went up; and I submitted to them the gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but I did so in private to those who were of reputation, for fear that I might be running, or had run, in vain.

But from those who were of high reputation (what they were makes no difference to me; God shows no partiality)--well, those who were of reputation contributed nothing to me. But on the contrary, seeing that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been to the circumcised (for He who effectually worked for Peter in his apostleship to the circumcised effectually worked for me also to the Gentiles), and recognizing the grace that had been given to me, James and Cephas and John, who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, so that we might go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. They only asked us to remember the poor--the very thing I also was eager to do.  (Gal 2:1-2, 6-10).

It is interesting to note that some time after the Book of James was written, certain men from Judea came to Antioch and began to teach the newly converted Gentiles that unless they observed the law and were circumcised, they could not be saved (Acts 15:1).
So, here's the timeline so far:

1. 33 AD - Paul is converted and spends 3 years receiving revelation from God.  After which, Paul visits Peter for 15 days, and sees James.  He does not return to Jerusalem again until some 14 years later (around 49-50 AD).

2. 42 AD (or there abouts) - James, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit (2 Tim 3:16), writes the Book of James.  At this point in time, the Jewish believers are undergoing tremendous persecution, from both the religious establishment of the day and Rome.  James encourages these believers and addresses some of the serious problems that have arisen in the church.  (Things slowly turn around and by 49-50 AD the Jewish believers have attained so favorable a position that the church can hold the great council of Acts 15 with no one to molest them.)

3. Around 49-50 AD - "some men came down from Judea" to Antioch and begin to teach the newly converted Gentiles that unless they observe the law and are circumcised, they cannot be saved (Acts 15:1).

4. At the Council of Jerusalem that follows (49-50 AD), Paul submits to the church in Jerusalem what he has been preaching to the Gentiles — namely that the law was fulfilled by Christ — and James, Peter and John give Paul (and Barnabus) the right hand of fellowship.  Paul is to go to the uncircumcised and James, Peter and John to the circumcised (Acts 15:1-29; Gal 2:1-10).

The Council at Jerusalem resolves the issue for James, Peter, the apostles and elders about whether or not Gentile believers were subject to the law of Moses. But even after that, while Peter is visiting Antioch, "certain men came from James."  Peter joins them in holding themselves aloof from the Gentiles and is sternly rebuked by Paul for hypocrisy (Gal 2:11-12).  The interesting thing in all this is, the Jerusalem Council doesn't even consider the question of whether or not the Jewish believers are to remain under the law. It seems they assume they are because in Acts 21:17-20 (around 62 AD - another 12-13 years later) they are still "zealous for the law."

After we arrived in Jerusalem, the brethren received us gladly. And the following day Paul went in with us to James, and all the elders were present. After he had greeted them, he began to relate one by one the things which God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry. And when they heard it they began glorifying God; and they said to him, "You see, brother, how many thousands there are among the Jews of those who have believed, and they are all zealous for the Law; and they have been told about you, that you are teaching all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children nor to walk according to the customs. "What, then, is to be done? They will certainly hear that you have come. "Therefore do this that we tell you. We have four men who are under a vow; take them and purify yourself along with them, and pay their expenses so that they may shave their heads; and all will know that there is nothing to the things which they have been told about you, but that you yourself also walk orderly, keeping the Law. "But concerning the Gentiles who have believed, we wrote, having decided that they should abstain from meat sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled and from fornication." Then Paul took the men, and the next day, purifying himself along with them, went into the temple giving notice of the completion of the days of purification, until the sacrifice was offered for each one of them (Acts 21:17-26).

The only thing I can figure is that the "middle wall of separation" between the Jew and Gentile was gradually broken down. It makes sense that God did not reveal everything at once, that there was some kind of transitional period. But why were the Jewish believers in Jerusalem and Judea still clinging to the law at this late date (Acts 21)?  As you can see, James was right there among them — he's even their leader (v 18).  Were they not expected to recognize the change in program from law to grace and move on with it?  And furthermore, whyever did Paul go along with James' proposal*?  Was Paul wrong to do so?


*The proposal was no small matter.  Paul was urged to publicly join with four Jews in taking a Nazarite vow and financing, not one, but five, bloody sacrifices.  This was a considerable amount, since two doves or pigeons, one he-lamb, one ewe lamb and a ram had to be offered for each of the four, plus his own (Num 6).  This procedure was evidently not uncommon at that time.  In fact, Josephus tells how Agrippa I courted Jewish favor by financing Nazarite vows (Ant. XIX, 6,1).

No comments:

Post a Comment