Saturday, January 9, 2010

O Wind, Why Do You Never Rest

We're been getting quite a bit of snow lately. When we left for Arkansas a few days before Christmas it was snowing; when we returned the week after Christmas it was snowing; and since then we've received almost another foot of snow. We probably have about 14-16 inches on the ground right now. But I like snow. It covers over some of the ugliness of the city with a beautiful, pure white blanket. I don't even mind driving in it; it's rather fun. Granted, it can get dicey at times, especially when you're not sure what the other drivers on the road will do.

However, I'm not overly crazy about the cold that has been accompanying the snow. But that's only because it makes it so uncomfortable to get out and walk my usual two miles. I just can't put on enough to keep warm. The wind pierces through every last layer, no matter how many I put on. And when it's damp as well, the cold seems to chill my very bones. So from now until Spring, I'm basically reduced to walking the boring treadmill.

O wind, why do you never rest
Wandering, whistling to and fro;


Bringing rain out of the west,
From the dim north bringing snow?


By Christina Georgina Rossetti


(pictures taken near our home by my husband)

No comments:

Post a Comment