Sunday, March 14, 2010

Blueberry-Almond Creme Muffins

This evening I tried making a new recipe passed onto me by my friend Deb. It's actually a creation of Cynthia Bowser of Jonesborough, TN, one of the 100 finalists of this year's Pillsbury Bake-Off, and I must say it's excellent. The prep time before baking is a little messy and time-consuming but well worth the effort. Thanks, Deb!

4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 c sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c blanched slivered almonds
1-16.3 oz can Pillsbury Grands! Flaky Layers refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
3 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 c blueberry preserves

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously spray 8 regular-size muffin cups with no-stick cooking spray. In medium bowl, stir cream cheese, 1/4 c sugar, and almond and vanilla extracts until smooth and creamy; set aside. In medium shallow bowl, mix almonds and remaining 1/4 c sugar. Separate dough into 8 biscuits and each biscuit into 3 layers. Brush 1 layer of each biscuit with melted butter. Firmly press layer, butter side down, into almond mixture, coating evenly. Place almond side down in bottom and up side of muffin cup. Fill with 1 tbsp cream cheese mixture; spread evenly. Top with second layer; press edges of layers together. Spoon 1/2 tbsp of the preserves onto middle of each second layer. Brush each third biscuit layer with melted butter; firmly press, butter side down, into almond mixture and place almond side up on second layer. Press edge of third layer into edge of second layer. Sprinkle any remaining almond mixture onto tops of biscuits. Bake 17-27 minutes (I baked mine 22 minutes) or until golden brown. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Serves 8.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my do they ever look yummy!!And almonds and blueberries are so good for you!!
    Thanks for trying these and giving your opinion Sally!Glad they were a hit!

    Good Night my friend,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you make those over a camp fire?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if it's possible or not; maybe you can, but can I? I doubt it. I'm lousy at campfire cooking. Give me a crockpot any old day. :)

    ReplyDelete