Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Macaroni and cheese with Andouille (a rascal?)

Fall was in the air last week; strange for June. But no matter, cool days always bring to mind my favorite childhood comfort foods. So naturally when it came time to think about making dinner, I dug through my recipe box looking for my favorite macaroni and cheese recipe. It was then that I remembered a potluck get-together we went to this past winter to which my good friend Karen (see her wonderful new blog here) brought an amazing macaroni and cheese dish with some kind of sausage in it. I just couldn't remember what it was. But after a few phone calls, I had the name of the mystery meat — Andouille. A funny name; and French, too. No wonder I couldn't remember it. Apparently, the word 'andouille' is also an insult in French, designating a ridiculous or incompetent person, or a rascal. What that has to do with sausage, I have no idea.

8 oz any kind of pasta noodles
1/4 c butter
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 c)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 c flour
1 3/4 c milk
8 oz extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 links Andouille sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
2 oz fresh Parmesan cheese, shredded

Cook pasta according to directions on package. Cook and stir butter, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until onion is slightly tender. Blend in flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted.

Place pasta in ungreased 1 1/2-quart casserole. Stir cheese sauce and sausage into pasta; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Serves 5.

6 comments:

  1. As you know, I love food pictures. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shari. I must say, the Andouille really makes it awesome.

    I was so glad to read on your blog this morning that John continues to do great on the Cal-101! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. copied, printed, and on the fridge... Now to entice Denise to make it...

    hmmm.

    God Bless,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure you'd even like it, Randy; it doesn't call for Velveeta.:) :) I'm sure Denise could substitute it in, though. Best of luck on enticing her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks Yummy!Can't wait to try it Sally!!

    ReplyDelete