Monday, December 20, 2010

Should we remain immature, then?

You may wonder why I keep bringing up differences I see between what I hear and read and what I believe the Bible says.  Am I just being overly critical?  What does it matter anyway if some (many!) don't take into account the progression of Scripture?   

It matters for one very important reason:  If we don't remember that Scripture was given "order on order, line on line, little here, a little there" (Is 28), we will present to the world (to the saved and unsaved alike) a confused and inconsistent testimony. 

When we don't observe the distinctions between earlier and later revelation, we will inevitably come across seeming contradictions.  And when that happens, we will try to read back newer revelation into older revelation; or, we will teach one thing one week and the complete opposite the next, oftentimes never realizing we've done so; or, we will merely skim Scripture ("sticking to the basics" and not venturing into anything too deep) and thereby skip over the "contradictions" so as not to have to deal with them; all of which result in inconsistent and/or shallow sermons and believers who remain confused and immature.

Why don't we want to dig deeply?  To study?  To figure out how it all fits together?  Are we lazy?  Or are we just afraid to buck the majority or the latest trend?  I know it's hard; I fear that, too.  In fact, you know how Paul referred to himself as the chief sinner (I Tim 1:15 KJV)?  Well I'm quite sure I'm chief chicken, "cc" for short.:)  I've been battling fear my whole life.  But when it comes right down to it, what's more important, protecting ourselves by not making waves...or staying true to the Word of God?

May we all take 2 Tim 2:15 to heart:

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment