Monday, April 30, 2012

Spring Hymn Sing

Last night was our annual spring Hymn Sing.  Even though the weather was rainy and cold, about 900 people from churches all over the area attended.  We had a great time again, as usual, singing the roof off the place.  One of my favorite songs of the evening was Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus.  Such pretty music and wonderful lyrics:

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free!

Refrain:

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion—
For more than conqu’rors we are!

His Word shall not fail you—He promised;
Believe Him, and all will be well:
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p_t2sGfsQ8&feature=related

Another of my favorites was His Name is Wonderful.  It brought back memories of singing this song as a child.  In the 60's our family attended a small evangelical free church in Baxter, MN, where Pastor David Martin would preach and lead the singing.  His Name is Wonderful must have been his favorite song because we sang it all the time.

Not many pastors can both preach and lead the singing well, but Pastor Martin could.  I remember singing in the church youth choir (which he started and led) from kindergarten through about the third grade.  Occasionally we would sing on their television program "Echos From Calvary."  Our family moved to Lincoln, NE when I was 10, but I'm sure the musical grounding I received under Pastor Martin helped me get into the Back to the Bible Youth Choir as few years later.

Another memory I have of Pastor Martin is that he sometimes called me "raspberry hucklesperry."  It was a word play on my last name "Sperry."  You see, not only did our family attend his church, we also lived just up the street from his family, and Ruthie (his 4th oldest daughter) and I were fast friends.  We spent many hours playing together.  So Pastor Martin saw me often and knew me quite well at that time.

Of the many talents Pastor Martin had, one of his greatest was in helping plant new churches.  The little evangelical free church we attended (Lakewood Evangelical Free Church) was one of them.  We met in the local Baxter Elementary School back then, but I hear they are one of the largest churches in the area now.

Pastor David Martin passed away last month.  He's with our wonderful Lord now, so I know I'll get to see him again someday.  I wonder, will he greet me by saying, "Well hi there, raspberry hucklesperry!"

His Name is Wonderful
His Name is Wonderful
His Name is Wonderful
Jesus My Lord.

He is the Mighty King
Master of everything
His Name is Wonderful
Jesus My Lord.

He’s the Great shepherd
The Rock of All Ages
Almighty God is He.

Bow down before Him
Love and adore Him
His Name is Wonderful
Jesus My Lord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA24iJr_bZk

Our annual fall Hymn Sing will be on October 21, 2012, if you care to  join us.  We will be remembering many of the old radio broadcasts, such as Back to the Bible, Unshackled, Old Fashioned Bible Hour, etc.  Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment