Wednesday, March 6, 2013

German Pancake


 
I was first introduced to the German pancake almost 35 years ago.  When my husband and I were newly engaged, we used to go out for breakfast with his folks to a place called "Grandma Sally's."  I usually ordered the apple pancake, but my soon-to-be husband almost always ordered a German pancake.  I remember thinking that his pancake was rather odd-looking.  Not only was it huge, it wasn't flat, AND he put lemon juice and powered sugar on it, not maple syrup.  How strange. 

Sadly, "Grandma Sally's" closed down long ago, but I came across a recipe several years ago that makes German pancakes like the ones made there.  I still think German pancakes are a little odd-looking.  But really, they're quite good.  Give one a try!

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Beat together:
3 large eggs
3/4 c flour
3/4 c milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla or lemon extract

Melt 1 1/2 tbsp butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet or a German pancake pan.  When hot, pour in the ingredients above.  Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, lower to 350 degrees and bake for another 10 minutes.  Serve with lemon juice and powered sugar.

Serves 2-4.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that thing would hold a whole quart of blueberry syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey that's a good idea! Never thought of using blueberry syrup on it. Don't think I'd want to put on a whole quart, though. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma Sally's in Mt. Prospect... Haven't been there since the early 80's, pretty sure it's gone now. I loved the Apple Pancake, took a long time, but worth the wait. I've always called what you are making here "Dutch Babies", though I'm guessing there are many regional names for them... I've made many of these little gems over the years and managed to get the Grandma Sally's result, however I've never been able to quite duplicate the Apple Pancake :(

    ReplyDelete