Sunday, August 8, 2010

Cranberry Apple Muffins


This summer, after a 30+ year absence, I finally went to one of my extended family's yearly reunions in southern Illinois.  It's always held at Devil's Backbone Park, located on the Mississippi River in the small town of Grand Tower.  Why Grand Tower?  My great grandfather and grandmother Callis had settled and raised their family there.  (Grand Tower has a rather interesting history, if you care to read about it here.) 

It was great to see everyone again, even though it was so very hot, muggy and buggy.  Many of my aunts, uncles, cousins, second cousins, third cousins twice removed, etc. actually tent camp at the park during these reunions, which has to be absolutely miserable.  It used to be worse, though.  The reunions had always been held in August, but because of the heat, were switched to June a couple of years ago.  My parents, who have been attending these reunions for years, have almost always stayed in hotels rather than tent camp.  We followed suit, going over to the park only to visit and for the main reunion meal on Sunday noon. 

It's because of this main reunion meal, in which everybody is required to bring something, that I came across this Cranberry Apple Muffins recipe.  I had to think of or find something I could bring that wouldn't spoil from the time I made it before we left until I served it that Sunday noon.  Of course I made a few alterations from the original recipe, which also included diced dried figs, raisins and more sugar.  All of that sounded too much so I stuck to adding only the apples and cranberries and cut the sugar.  My family's never been much for my adding nuts to baked goods, so I didn't, but I think some toasted hazelnuts or even walnuts or pecans would be great in these, too.  Anyway, they turned out very well as is.  They were moist and wonderfully spiced, bringing the flavors of the apples and cranberries together nicely.

1 1/2 c unbleached flour
1 1/2 tsp baking power
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 c plus 2 tbsp milk
1 egg
8 tbsp butter, melted
3/4 c dried cranberries
3/4 c peeled and chopped apple
5 tbsp packed brown sugar
3 tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line muffin tin with paper liners.  In large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger; whisk together.  Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add in milk, egg and melted butter.  Stir just enough to combine.  Add cranberries, apples and both sugars to the bowl.  Stir just enough to distribute fruits and sugars evenly throughout the batter.  Divide batter evenly between the paper liners.  Bake for 18-22 mins., until browned on top and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Let cool in pan about 5 mins., then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 12 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment