Sunday, August 29, 2010

Streusel-topped pear pie

Our pear tree is just past peak now and I think I've gotten all I will get from this year's crop.  It wasn't a particularly great year for pears.  They seemed smaller and more insect-infested than last year's. Still, I was able to make my annual pear pie. 

For most of my life I had never had, or even heard of, pear pie.  But then one year we had a bumper crop and I was desperate to find new ways to use all those pears.  That's when I came across this recipe.  This is also the recipe from which I got my pie crust recipe.  You can see how difficult it was to extract the crust recipe from the pie instructions - they're so closely intertwined.  Anyway, here it is.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

2 1/4 c unbleached flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 c butter (don't use margarine)
2 1/2 to 3 tbsp cold water
5-6 medium pears
1/2 c sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 c shredded Cheddar cheese

In medium bowl, stir together 2 c flour and 1 tsp salt.  With pastry blender, cut in 3/4 c butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Measure 1 c mixture  into medium bowl; reserve.  To remaining flour mixture, add cold water, 1 tbsp at a time, mixing lightly with a folk after each addition until moist enough to hold together.  With hands, shape pastry into a ball.  On lightly floured surface with lightly floured rolling pin, roll pastry into an 11-inch circle; use to line 9-inch pie plate.   Trim edges, leaving 1 inch overhang.  Fold overhang under; bring up over pie-plate rim; pinch to form a high edge; make a fluted edge.  Peel, core and cut pears into thick slices to measure about 4 1/2 to 5 cups.  In large bowl, toss pears with sugar, lemon juice, 1/4 c flour and 1/4 tsp salt; put into crust.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In medium bowl, combine reserved flour mixture, brown sugar and next 3 ingredients.  With pastry blender, cut in cheese and 1/4 c butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and ingredients are well blended.  Sprinkle over pears.  Bake 30 mins; cover with foil and bake 30 mins more.  Serve warm or refrigerate to serve cold.


***Special thanks to our good friend Nate for taking the pie picture. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment