Sunday, September 12, 2010

Interesting tidbit (Isaiah 45:7)

Lately I've come across some interesting tidbits that have been rather helpful to me.  One such tidbit answers the question, "What does Isaiah 45:7 mean?"

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things (Is 45:7). KJV

The One forming light and creating darkness, causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these (Is 45:7). NASB

I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things (Is 45:7). NIV


A:  This verse is actually a favorite of the Universalists, who teach that since God created evil, He is responsible to save all men from the consequences of evil.  However, we know that "evil" here is not sin or moral wrong, for these reasons.

The Hebrew word for "evil" is sometimes translated "trouble," "calamity" or "affliction", things God used to chasten Israel when she was disobedient.  We know this is the meaning here because of the context.  When God claimed to "form the light, and create darkness," these things are opposites.  And so the "evil" here is the opposite of "peace," and refers to the wars, military losses, captivities, and subsequent unrest that God allowed to come on Israel to chastise them.

No comments:

Post a Comment