Sunday, January 8, 2012

Romans 8:18

I am reposting this post, which I wrote a couple of months ago, in memory of a dear friend who went home to be with our Lord early this morning.  He was such a caring man and always very concerned that people hear the good news that Jesus Christ died and rose again on our behalf.  We will surely miss you, Dr. Hamblin!


Have you ever felt helpless or had waves of terror completely overwhelm you?  I'm not sure where these feelings come from, but I started having them about 6 or 7 years ago.  For me, they're usually fleeting, here one moment, gone the next.  Maybe I'm experiencing them now because I'm older and know how quickly things can change for the worst.  This world is often not a kind place.

Our oldest daughter had major surgery last month. I stayed in Kansas City for a week afterwards to help her out. She's doing fine; the surgery was successful, and she is recovering nicely. But it makes me very sad that some of my friends, who have also undergone surgeries and treatments, can't say the same. This world is often not a kind place.

Recently several of my close friends lost their jobs because of this shaky economy.  They're understandably worried.  Will they be able to send their children to college next year?  Will they lose everything they own before they find work?  I feel for them.  This world is often not a kind place.

Two weeks ago my MIL celebrated her 90th birthday.  It's rather hard to believe, especially when I look at pictures of her as a child and as a young adult on our hallway wall.  Our lives go by so quickly.  James 4:14 says we're all just vapors that appear for a little while and then vanish away.

So little time.  In the big scheme of things, my life on this earth is but a speck on the timeline of eternity.  But praise God for the glorious eternity that awaits me!  No more fears, sickness or tears. And I get to be with all my brothers and sisters in Christ, and live forever with the One who loves us so much that He died in our place.

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us (Rom 8:18).

So little time.  Just a fleeting vapor.  Here one minute, gone the next ...

Where will you spend eternity?



This is real love — not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins (1 Jn 4:10 NLT).

For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that EVERYONE who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him. There is no judgment against ANYONE who believes in him. But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in God’s one and only Son (Jn 3:16-18 NLT).

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. This is very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a) i really liked this entry the first time and i like it even more this time b) love you mommy

    ReplyDelete