Tuesday, November 22, 2011

French Silk Pie


The day after tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day.  This year we will be celebrating it at the home of my niece's husband's sister (hereafter referred to as NHS).  There will be 18 of us in all: my MIL, SIL, niece and her husband and 3 kids, my NHS and her husband and 3 kids, the parents of my niece's husband and NHS, and my husband, our 2 daughters and me.  It may seem a little strange that we're gathering at my NHS's house.  After all, Thanksgiving is when one usually gathers with one's immediate family, and we're not even technically related to my niece's husband, let alone his sister. But then I freely admit our family is a little strange.  We actually celebrate many holidays with my niece's husband's family.  There's an explanation for this, though.  My SIL has known my niece's husband's father for years.  They met when they both worked at Moody radio (WMBI) back in the 60's. 

Anyway, all that to say this:  One of the things I'm contributing to the Thanksgiving meal this year is a pie (well, actually pies).  And since my niece's husband's favorite pie is French silk pie, I must be sure to make that kind, right? 

I got this recipe from a friend from church some 20+ years ago.  It produces a very rich, but oh so delicious, pie!  For those who are aware of the Baker's Square chain of restaurants, this recipe duplicates their French silk pie almost to a tee.

1 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
Whipped cream or Cool Whip

First make and bake your favorite pastry pie crust.  If you don't currently have a favorite, here's one you can try. 

Next, beat sugar and butter until sugar is not grainy. Add chocolate and vanilla. Add eggs, two at a time, beating 5 minutes after each addition. Pour into cooled pie crust. Chill 2 hours or until firm. Before serving, top with whipped cream and a little grated chocolate.

1 comment:

  1. can you please just use names next time? that's my own family and I am thoroughly confused...........

    ReplyDelete