Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Macaroni salad

For years while our daughters were growing up, it was my habit to make macaroni salad for lunch upon returning home from church Sunday noons.  It was all that was needed because this salad includes something from each food group — pasta, meat, cheese and vegetables. It's a whole meal in a bowl.  Because it also has black olives in it, our daughters would invariably ask if they could have one to eat separately from the salad. So, I also got into the habit of setting aside two black olives every time I made it.  (Perhaps you remember that our daughters love black olives so much that they always get a can of them in their Christmas stockings?)  They're now ages 25 and 18 and I still set aside black olives for them...if they're home.  It's expected, don't you know. :)

This salad is one I basically made up myself.  People seem to like it well enough whenever I serve it so I keep on making it. Occasionally someone even asks me for the recipe, but since I never measure anything, it's difficult to pass on.  Well, here's my guess at what goes into it.  Keep in mind that all measurements are just approximate.


1 c mayo
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp dill weed
1 tbsp dried parsley
1/4 c finely chopped onion
1 c chopped tomato
1 c sliced black olives
1/2 c cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
1/2 c ham, cut into small bite size (I often just use ham lunch meat.)
16 oz pasta (any kind), cooked, drained, and rinsed with cool water

Mix together first 8 ingredients, then add next 4 and stir in, all while cooking pasta.  Drain and rinse pasta and add to mixture.  I think it tastes best when you serve it immediately.  Of course you can refrigerate leftovers and serve it later as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment