Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I have enough

Recently, a friend from choir introduced me to the music of Lorraine Hunt-Lieberson, mezzo soprano. And after listening to the first of her CD's I ordered — Bach Cantatas BWV 82 and 199 — I just want to say thanks so much Lois, and wow, what a voice!

The first piece on this CD, BWV 82 - Ich habe genug, is probably my favorite. Not only is it beautifully sung, it is brilliantly composed. But then of course with Bach as the composer, how could it be otherwise, right?

Ich habe genug expresses contempt for this worldly life and a yearning for death and heaven. It also has a very intriguing paradox — the words do not even mention the pains of living in this world; rather, they are full of radiance and hope. Bach’s music, however, is full of pain and dissonance. I think this conflicting combination well expresses the Christian life itself. The haunting "music" of this cursed world and its resulting pain fills the air around us and reverberates within us. We cannot escape it. But do we "sing" about the trials we're enduring? No (or at least we shouldn't). We "sing" about the glory to come!

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us (Rom 8:18).

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain (Phil 1:21).

The history behind Ich habe genug (meaning, "I have enough") is really rather interesting. Bach intended this cantata for the Feast of the Purification of Mary (also known as "Candlemas"), and it was first sung on that day on February 2, 1727. This feast commemorates Mary's journey to Jerusalem for the duel purpose of ritual purification forty days after giving birth and to present her child to God. It is based on Luke 2:22-32, which actually says little about the purification of Mary; rather it focuses on Simeon, to whom it had been revealed by the Holy Spirit that he should not see death before he had seen the Lord's Christ. Simeon's beautiful prayer follows: Now Lord, You are releasing Your bond-servant to depart in peace, according to Your word; for my eyes have seen Your salvation, which You have prepared in the presence of all peoples, a light of revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory of Your people Israel. In Bach's day, the Feast of the Purification of Mary was a time for Christians to think about their own deaths and to expand the idea of Simeon's words to mean, "now that the Savior has appeared, I can die with good cheer, for death has lost its terror."

Lorraine Hunt-Lieberson usually wore a flimsy hospital gown and thick woolen socks when performing Ich Habe Genug. And with her face contorted with pain and yearning, she portrayed a terminally ill patient who wants to go to heaven and be comforted by her Savior.

Ironically, Lorraine herself died of cancer on July 3, 2006 at the age of 52. It seems she was not a believer, however, for she has been quoted as saying this about herself regarding Bach's cantatas: "It was a revelation, even for a non-believer, to experience these works in context, as it were, and thus to discover how they really worked! For they are sermons, sermons in verse and music, beautiful and intense supplements to the sermons preached by the pastor in his pulpit." How very sad to sing such words of hope and never experience the truth of them.

Cantata BWV 82, Ich Habe Genug as sung by Lorraine Hunt-Lieberson


English translation:

It is enough.
I have held the Savior, the hope of all peoples,
In the warm embrace of my arms.
It is enough.

I have seen him,
My faith has impressed Jesus on my heart;
Now I wish this very day
To depart from here with joy.

It is enough.
My one consolation is this:
That I am Jesus’ beloved and he is mine.
In faith, I hold him.
For in Simeon, I already see
The joy of life to come.
Let us go forth with Simeon!
Ah! if only the Lord
Would free me from my body’s enslavement;
Ah! if indeed my liberation were soon,
With joy I would say to you, O World,
It is enough.

Slumber, my weary eyes,
Fall softly and close in contentment.

O World, I will linger here no more.
For indeed, I find nothing in you
Pleasing to my soul.

Here I am resigned to misery,
But there, there I shall feel
Sweet peace and quiet rest.

My God! When will I hear that precious word: “Now!”
Then I will depart in peace,
And rest both here in the humus of the cool earth
And there within your bosom.
My departure is at hand,
O World, good night!

With gladness, I look forward to my death,
(Ah! if only it had already come.)

Then shall I escape all despair
That still enslaves me now on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment