Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sick cell

Cell phones are nice. They're not great, but they're nice. And I'm starting to think it may be time for me to buy a new one. Not that I really want to, mind you. My phone is in great shape! It's just that the battery only keeps a charge for about 1/2 hour now.The last time I replaced my cell phone, I really didn't want to either. But I had to, if I wanted a cell phone at all.

You see, I had a perfectly good old cell phone. Worked great, except the battery would no longer hold a charge. Solution? Go to the store and buy a new battery, right?! Not so easy. I tried to explain to the guy that my phone was in great shape. Sure it was three times bigger than any other cell phones I had seen lately, but who cares about that?! It still worked great. So I asked if he could please show me where the batteries were for this type of phone. Well, he was quiet for a moment and then said, "Ummm ma'am, your phone is considerably out of date and we haven't carried batteries for that type of phone for quite some time..."...and something else about analog versus something else...oh, I don't know... Anyway, so I had to buy a new phone.

I had decided to try a different phone plan at that time, too. It wasn't a hard choice for me to make. I knew I didn't need one of those big unlimited plans because I rarely use my cell phone. Not much of a talker, you know. But it is nice to have one in case of an emergency, and it has proven convenient at times. So, I chose the absolute cheapest plan — $15.98 a month — and it's been fine...really!...I guess. The only thing is, they've been rolling over all my unused minutes ever since and my total keeps growing and growing. In fact, today when I used my phone, that little voice that comes on every time I make a call reminded me that I only had 22 hours and 21 minutes to complete my call. What am I supposed to do with all that time?!!

Anyway, so now it seems I need to buy another phone because my "new" phone's battery is only holding a charge for about 1/2 hour. (You don't suppose they're still making batteries for my "new" phone, do you?) And just like last time, my "new" phone is still in great shape! Okay, maybe the plastic antennae that I have to pull out is a little bent over at the top. But I really don't mind that. Actually...I think it looks rather endearing...and...really...no one has a phone just like mine anymore...and...I am still ekeing a good 1/2 hour out of it...

Hmmm...Maybe I can hold onto it for just a bit longer.

3 comments:

  1. Might be able to find a battery here...

    http://www.batteries4less.com/kyocera/kyocera_toc.html

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally,

    I hope you can find a battery. Some of the new tech things are "cool", but I am not so sure they are worth the cost and time it takes..

    I seem to be going backwards tech-wise. When I "retired" I gave up my blackberry, and got a basic phone- no frills...I don't want to text... I bought a lap top with a big screen- not a small note book, and I also just found that they offer Wi-Fy on planes now... that was my only place of escape...

    God bless...

    ReplyDelete