Thursday, December 24, 2009

Raspberry Shortbread

This last recipe is my all-time favorite Christmas cookie recipe. These cookies will melt in your mouth.

1 c butter (no substitutes), softened
2/3 c sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 c flour
raspberry jam or preserves


GLAZE

1 c confectioner's sugar
2-3 tbsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in extract; gradually add flour until dough forms a ball. Roll into 1 inch balls and place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Use your thumb to make an indentation in the center. Fill with raspberry jam. Bake 350 degrees for 14-18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over cookies. Makes about 3 dozen.

9 comments:

  1. All three were GREAT! In fact, I think they'd make wonderful camping snacks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Are you bringing them, then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sound yummy!Got to try these!
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!Thanks for being my friend!!
    Love You,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sally, I copied your raspberry cookie recipe awhile ago, and made them tonight for Will for Valentine's Day. They were great!! (Of course Valentine's Day is tomorrow, but he liked having them early!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for letting me know, Pat. I'm glad you and Will enjoyed them. They're Roger's and my favorite cookies, by far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister came over Sunday afternoon, (from Gainesville, FL) and stayed until this morning. She is about the best cook I know, and she loved the cookies so much she asked me for the recipe. But I don't know how you stay so slim eating these..LOL!

    I have enjoyed reading some of your blog...very inspiring Sally. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Pat. And, whoever said I was slim? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen your picture...:)

    I'll bet by the "charts" you are slim...me too, but I know better. I have to watch my weight, and not eat your yummy cookies very often, ha!

    I noticed in some of your recipes you substitute low fat ingredients, etc. I do that too. But for the shortbread cookies I used butter. I'm sure that's what makes them so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I definitely agree — using only butter for shortbread cookies (and really for most any baking) is the ONLY way to go. It's what makes or breaks recipes like that, as far as I'm concerned. :)

    ReplyDelete