Friday, December 4, 2009

Turning 50

Today I turned 50 years old. Quite a milestone, in a sense. I'm now eligible to become a member of AARP for one thing. Can't beat that with a stick. Ha! I think I'll pass. But I've been thinking, taking stock, of my life up to this point. I've now lived 50 years, but what have I done, what have I got to show for it?

I haven't risen to the top of my field. Oh wait, I don't have a field. So that may explain that one. I haven't accumulated millions, probably because I haven't risen to the top of my field. I've never been written up in the newspaper for any great acts of heroism or deeds of charity. I'm not even a prominent member of our church, a member yes (anybody can do that, though), but prominent, no.

Wait now, come the 29th of this month I'll be celebrating 30 years of marriage. But can I count that as any great accomplishment if I've been happily married all those years? What's the big deal if it hasn't been a struggle? I (we) have managed to raise one daughter to adulthood, and our second daughter is very close to adulthood now. That certainly wasn't (isn't) easy. So that's something.

Oh, I have done a few other things too, I guess. I've had the opportunity to do a lot of singing in church and on both the radio and TV. I've always been a trustworthy and hard worker, no matter what job I've held. And, I'm usually a good neighbor.

Probably the best that can be said about my life to date is that by the grace of God I've managed to live it fairly quietly, minding my own business, and working with my hands (1 Thes 4:11-12). That's not too bad, I guess. Actually, I think it's pretty okay.

5 comments:

  1. It really is unfortunate what how our culture tries to force on us it's own definition of success. For what it's worth, I'm proud to be called your friend and I always look forward to when we get to hang out. Happy birthday, a little late :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty darn good if you ask me!!
    And you forgot the part about loving movies,popcorn and pepsi!What no pepsi???That's right you are a Coke gal!LOL!We won't deduct points for that.May your next 50 years be as great as your first 50 Sally!!
    Love Ya,
    Deb
    www.cllcfriends.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nate.:) And thanks so much for your birthday greetings, too.

    And, it will always be Coke, Deb! So glad we're still friends despite that. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the second time today, I am going to second one of Nate's comments: I also count it a privilege to know you and be your friend.
    You are a beautiful example to me of how to live like a daughter of the King. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are guys way too kind. I should have added that I've made some very good friends during my 50 years, too.

    ReplyDelete