Friday, July 10, 2009

Danish Kringle


My niece and nephew have been visiting us for the past couple of weeks. Unfortunately they're on their way back to Arkansas now, but we had a great time together while they were here. My niece has asked for several of my recipes, so I plan to post them all over the next several days.

I got this first recipe from a lady who lives is northern Wisconsin. She's a wonderful cook/baker, and I have gotten several recipes from her over the years.

2 sticks butter
2 c flour
8 oz sour cream
1 can filling (I usually use the Solo brand. I think the almond or raspberry fillings are the best.:)

Cut butter and flour together until it resembles streusel. Work sour cream into the butter and flour mixture. Cover and chill dough at least 4 hours (or freeze). Divide dough into 4 parts. Roll each into a 9" x 12" rectangle on a floured board. Make sure you use PLENTY of flour or it will stick to the counter and you'll have a real mess on your hands (not that I've ever experienced this, of course - LOL!).  Spread 1/4 can of filling lengthwise down the center of the dough. Cut the dough on either side of the filling portion into 1 inch strips, and fold them over the top of the filling portion of the dough. Remove excess flour with a pastry brush.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown (or freeze until wanted). Frost while still warm.

Frosting
(makes enough for all 4 kringles)

2 tbsp melted butter
1 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp milk (more or less)

1 comment:

  1. wow...a kringle i might actually like! it was awful growing up in racine and not liking kringle...everyone kept trying to forcefeed it to me :)

    ReplyDelete