Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Ice Cream Cake

This is yet another recipe from an old church (not the church I attend) cookbook, though this cookbook is even older (1981) than the last one (1992).

Written in the Forward of this cookbook:

"Women's Christian Fellowship is pleased to share with you the favorite recipes of many of those attending our church. The numerous hours of committee work have culminated in a product that can help create family mealtimes, encourage friends to get together, and enhance parents as they teach their children the joy of serving others through cooking."

..."enhance parents"??? What does that mean? It almost seems like they'd glow in the dark or something. Ha! Maybe they meant to say "enhance parents' ability to teach ..." Believe me, I am very capable of writing something like that, too. (Just read through my blog.) But I'm okay with that. Besides, I rather think glow-in-the-dark parents would be pretty cool.

Here's the recipe:

36 Oreo cookies, coarsely crushed (don't use the double-stuffed cookies or your crust will turn out too hard)
2/3 c melted butter
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened (I use reduced fat ice cream — it's not quite so rich, then)
4 squares baking chocolate
1 c sugar
2 tbsp butter
1 1/3 c evaporated milk (I use skim variety)
1 tsp vanilla
1 large Cool Whip (I use the light variety — I don't know why I bother with all these "lighter variety" substitutions, because no matter how you "cut" it, it's still not good for you.)

Combine cookies and 2/3 c melted butter. Press into 9" x 13" pan. Spread with soft ice cream. Put in freezer. Combine chocolate, sugar, 2 tbsp butter and milk. Cook in double boiler until stiff and thick. Add vanilla. Cool. Pour over ice cream. Top with 1 large container Cool Whip. Freeze overnight. Serves 16-20.

1 comment:

  1. this is steve's favorite ice cream cake ever! i'm excited to have some of your recipes - i'm glad you're posting them for alllll your nieces to use. ha! i'm sure i'll be enhanced by this as a parent. :)

    ReplyDelete